Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Insidious Indeed

the following review was written by my good friend, austin balaich.  he will periodically be one of my honorary film critics, specializing in animations.  here's to austin:


Scary movies don’t scare me anymore these days.  The definition of scary movies to the common people typically end up in words such as gory, bloody, gross, and many other similar terms.  The film by James Wan puts the word “Insidious” to the test in this scary thriller.  As I watched how the film gradually gets scarier and scarier, this movie definitely stays true to the designation, “Insidious”.  

Starring Patrick Wilson and Rose Byrne, they’re parents of a child who gets captured in a coma, but the parents eventually figure out that it’s not just a coma.  The path they have to take to bring their son back to reality depicts all kinds of insidiousness in this movie.  Ghosts, demons, eerie sounds and occurrences were cleverly edited and put together in this film.  As I carefully watched this film, I literally felt creeped out as the multiple overhead and following camera angles show much vulnerability around the parents.  There were some moments where my heart suddenly stops beating and some other where my mind was forced to reject the graveness of this so-called reality this film is suggesting.  This is a clever film, and it truly will make you check your closet for monsters before you go to bed.

I give this film 4 out of 5 stars for its brilliant use of horror other than these gory and gross movies.  It reminds me of the unusual similarities of horror and thriller to the film by Alejandro Amenabar, The Others.  If you liked The Others, you’ll get spooked while watching Insidious.    

thanks austin!!

1 comment:

flash2177 said...

Hmm I gotta watch this film... I got tired of all the gore and other common ideals of "horror." Thanks for bringing this up!